SWOT Analysis of Glow and Lovely focus on Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. Strength and Weakness are the internal factors and Opportunities and Threats are the external factors that influence the SWOT Analysis of Glow and Lovely.
Glow and Lovely previously known as Fair & Lovely is Hindustan Unilever’s fairness cream which was initially launched in the Indian market. For Unilever in India, Glow and Lovely is one of the most powerful brands in terms of women’s trust. The brand has been on the market in more than 45 countries for over 45 years. Also, the brand has been criticized continuously for its “racist” ads.
Strengths are defined as the best thing every company does in its range of activities that can give it hold on its competitors. Weaknesses are used in areas in which improvement of the business or brand is necessary. Opportunities are the environmental avenues around the enterprise that can be used to increase its income. Threats are environmental factors that can adversely affect business growth.
Strength in the SWOT Analysis of Glow and Lovely
- Strong Brand: Glow & Lovely is one of the most powerful skincare brands in the world, with extremely strong brand equity. This is the world’s first and largest fairness cream brand, valued at more than 6 billion dollars.
- International Footprint: As a Unilever brand, Glow & Lovely has a significant global footprint, with a presence in over 45 countries. Glow & Lovely has established an own market and penetrated the smaller parts of many countries since they were on the market in the past 45 years.
- Promotional Campaigns: Over the years, Glow & Lovely advertising campaigns have often included how a woman’s self-confidence increases with increasing fairness and better-looking skin. This contributed to the awareness of Glow & Lovely about the brand.
- Unilever Product: Glow & Lovely is a product of one of Unilever, the world’s leading consumer products company. This provides Glow & Lovely distribution advantages and financial support which give Glow & Lovely the competitive advantage.
- Women’s empowerment: Glow & Lovely has set up the Glow & Lovely Foundation. Glow & Lovely Foundation empowers and supports women in disadvantaged girls. This improves the image of the brand.
- Strong Distribution Network: Over the years Glow and Lovely have built a reliable distribution network that can reach the majority of its potential market.
- Superb Performance in New Markets: Glow and Lovely have built expertise at entering new markets and making a success of them. The expansion has helped the organization to build a new revenue stream and diversify the economic cycle risk in the markets it operates in.
- Distribution Network: It has built a culture among distributors & dealers where the dealers not only promote the company’s products but also invest in training the sales team to explain to the customer how he/she can extract the maximum benefits out of the products.
- Superb Performance in New Markets: Glow and Lovely have built expertise at entering new markets and become successful. The expansion has helped the organization to build a new revenue stream and diversify the economic cycle risk in the markets it operates
Weaknesses in the SWOT Analysis of Glow and Lovely
- Criticism: Various criticisms and groups of women accuse Glow & Lovely of categorizing women based on their colour of the skin and demeaning women with a dark colour have strongly opposed Glow & Lovely. Such advertisements have affected the reputation of Glow & Lovely as a brand.
- Microbial Contamination: Glow & Lovely was found to be substandard for microbial contamination in April 2017, according to the Indian Food and Drug Administration (FDA) tests. The quality of Glow & Lovely raises problems for Unilever. These problems affect the brand image and brand popularity.
Opportunities in the SWOT Analysis of Glow and Lovely
- New Trends and Consumer Behaviour: New trends in consumer behavior can open up new markets for Glow and Lovely. It provides a great opportunity for the organization to build new revenue streams and diversify into new product categories too.
- Increased awareness of human skincare: Women worldwide are aware of skincare, which gives Glow & Lovely the chance to launch a cream product for men (Glow & Lovely-Menz Active).
- Consumer Behaviour: New trends in consumer behavior can open up new markets for Glow and Lovely. It provides a great opportunity for the organization to build new revenue streams and diversify into new product categories.
Threats in the SWOT Analysis of Glow and Lovely
- Intense Competition: Competition in the area of skin fairness is growing with the introduction and impact on market shares by brands such as Fairever, No Marks and Fair & Handsome.
- Herbal Products: It is being reported that the use of herbal products is rising in India and other countries around the world as well. The entire industry is facing a great threat.
- Protest: Protests have targeted the brand, calling Glow & Lovely “racist. Glow & Lovely has been hit by considerable criticism over its advertising, but still thrives because of constant opposition.
If you like this article you can recommend your friends about PROJECTS4MBA.COM
If you like This Article Please Like our Facebook Page PROJECTS4MBA
Cite This Work
Referencing Style to cite this article: